Leaders in the Minnesota and national broadband scene share insights and tips to transform communities into tech-savvy destinations.
Blandin Community Broadband Program webinars are designed to provide rural Minnesota leaders with information they can use to help transform their communities into tech savvy places to live, work and visit. Communities serious about attracting new businesses, entrepreneurs, young people, and tourists must consider technology and Internet access as an essential amenity for community economic growth and vibrancy.
Webinars are recorded and archived on the Blandin on Broadband blog. Click the links below to register for individual webinars.
Broadband Leadership Roundtable Discussions:
Join us Tuesday mornings at 9:00 am for weekly roundtable discussions on a variety of broadband-related topics. The goal of the roundtable is to increase the ability of local broadband leaders to solve their local broadband puzzle. Anyone is welcome to join and participate, to ask questions, to promote broadband partnership opportunities, to share positive experiences and express frustrations. Host Bill Coleman will have some topics ready to go, but there will always be time for your particular question. The key to these sessions will be active discussions so that requires active participation.
Since we can’t get together over coffee, bring your own and join us! You can register for the roundtables here.
- Meetings in the Time of Coronavirus: Tips and Tricks of Online Meetings – April 8
- Broadband and Education in the Time of Coronavirus – March 26
Broadband Leadership Webinar Series: Creating Successful Broadband Infrastructure Projects
The coronavirus pandemic has made it clear that access to broadband is necessary for everyone. Communities cannot merely hope that a comprehensive broadband solution will be delivered to their doorsteps; local leaders must take an active role to ensure their community’s long-term broadband needs are met — that broadband is an asset, not a constraint.
The series addressed broadband infrastructure project planning best practices and tips – from partnering effectively with ISPs and units of government, to working with broadband consultants, to successfully applying for public funds.
|Series Overview (archive)
|A review of the entire broadband development process.|
|Setting the Vision (archive)
|The hows and whys of developing a shared community broadband vision to engage community leaders, citizens, and broadband provider partners.|
|Broadband 101 (archive)
|An introduction to various broadband technologies highlighting capabilities, liabilities, and comparative costs of each.|
|Community Broadband Surveys (archive) – April 9||An overview of broadband surveys including a comparison of random sample surveys and canvassing techniques, key questions, the importance of GIS mapping technology, and data ownership considerations.|
|Broadband Mapping (archive)
|An introduction to broadband mapping data sources, with demonstration of various GIS capabilities for data display and grant eligibility determination. Strategies for challenging broadband map data will be discussed.|
|Ownership Models and Provider Partnerships (archive) – April 16||An overview of models concerning network ownership and operations providing options for working with existing and prospective partners.|
|Feasibility Studies (archive)
|Presentation and discussion of the key elements of broadband feasibility study design, implementation, and use; including tips on selecting a consultant.|
|Federal and State Broadband Finance Programs (archive)
|An overview of existing and emerging broadband finance programs.|
|Local Broadband Finance Options (archive) – April 28||An introduction to the finance tools available to cities, counties, and towns to assist in broadband development.|
|Communicating to Achieve Your Community Broadband Vision (archive) – April 30||A strong messaging plan is essential to building citizen and elected official support for broadband projects. Learn how to plan your messaging strategy.|
- Leveraging CAF II Dollars to Bring World-Class Broadband to your Community – July 19, 2018
- Broadband Finance Strategies – April 27, 2017
- Broadband at the County Level – March 9, 2017
- Broadband Considerations in Site Selection and Data Centers – February 11, 2016
- DEED Office of Broadband 2014 Projects: A Progress Report – October 8, 2015
- Universal Service Fund: Supporting Broadband in Rural Places – September 10, 2015
- NTIA’s Broadband Programs – June 18, 2015
- Partnership Models – May 14, 2015
- Organizing the Community Around Key Broadband Topics – Creating the Right Team – April 9, 2015
- Wireless Broadband: It’s Complicated! – March 12, 2015
- Fiber and Gigabit Networks: The Future is Here – February 12, 2015
- Getting Started on Community Broadband – January 8, 2015
- Border-to-Border Infrastructure Grant Program – July 10, 2014
- Approaches for Local Governments to Expand Internet Access – June 12, 2014
- DIY Tools and Strategies for Communities: Google Fiber is NOT Calling – May 8, 2014
- Making 700 MHz Wireless Work in Rural Minnesota – April 10, 2014
- Expanding Wi-Fi Access to Your Community – September 12, 2013
- Digital Literacy and Older Adults – February 22, 2018
- “Digital Inclusion” webinar series
- Assessments, Training and Certifications: A Path Forward for the Digitally Excluded – September 14, 2017
- Low Income Devices and Connectivity – August 10, 2017
- Digital Inclusion Basics – July 11, 2017
- Working Effectively with PCs for People – July 11, 2013
- “Broadband-Enabled Innovation in the Home” webinar series
- Emerging Trends in Minnesota Tele-Health – December 14, 2017
- The Homework Gap: How Lack of Broadband Hinders K-12 Education – November 9, 2017
- Community Technology Centers – May 12, 2016
- Spurring Small Business Use of Technology – March 10, 2016.
- Creative Spaces, Creative Places – July 9, 2015
- Community Centers of Innovation – January 9, 2014
- Online Tools for Community Economic Development – November 14, 2013
- Growing and Keeping Tech Talent – August 11, 2016
- Attracting Tech Talent – July 14, 2016
- Community Technology and Entrepreneurship Networking – October 10, 2013
- How to be Effective at the Capitol – February 9, 2017
- 2017 Legislative Preview – January 12, 2017
- Census 2020: The Count Starts Now – November 10, 2016
- Broadband-Focused Economic Development Marketing – April 20, 2016
- Advocacy Groups: Who are They? – August 13, 2015
- Special Webinar: Broadband Development Fund Legislative Update – April 4, 2014
- Engaging Youth in Community Technology Initiatives – August 8, 2013
- Community Portals – June 20, 2013
Blandin Broadband Programs:
- Is the BBC Program Right for You? – March 15, 2018
- Blandin Broadband Communities 2015-16 – August 14, 2014
- Blandin Broadband Grant Programs – March 13, 2014
Do you have an idea for a future webinar? Send suggestions to Mary Magnuson.