Image: Lake County sr tech training 2013
Broadband Webinar Series
Leaders in the Minnesota and national broadband scene share insights and tips to transform communities into tech-savvy destinations.
Blandin Community Broadband Program webinars are designed to provide rural Minnesota leaders with information they can use to help transform their communities into tech savvy places to live, work and visit. Communities serious about attracting new businesses, entrepreneurs, young people, and tourists must consider technology and Internet access as an essential amenity for community economic growth and vibrancy.
Webinars are recorded and archived on the Blandin on Broadband blog. Click the links below to access the individual webinars.
- Webinar from March 26, 2020 – Broadband and Education in the Time of Coronavirus
Broadband Leadership Webinar Series: Creating Successful Broadband Infrastructure Projects
The coronavirus pandemic has made it clear that access to broadband is necessary for everyone. Communities cannot merely hope that a comprehensive broadband solution will be delivered to their doorsteps; local leaders must take an active role to ensure their community’s long-term broadband needs are met — that broadband is an asset, not a constraint.
To help, Blandin Foundation is offering a new Broadband Leadership Webinar Series: Creating Successful Broadband Projects. Webinars will be offered every Tuesday and Thursday morning at 9:00 am beginning March 31, and will run for five weeks. Pre-registration is not required. Simply click the link to join the webinar.
Participants will learn about broadband infrastructure project planning best practices and tips for partnering effectively with ISPs and units of government, working with broadband consultants, and successfully applying for public funds.
Week 1: Series Overview and Setting the Vision
Click here to complete the week one pre-webinar survey. Your responses will help inform the presentations and kick-off the Q&A.
|Date (at 9am)||Topic||Description|
|March 31||Series Overview||A review of the entire broadband development process. https://zoom.us/j/607332007|
|April 2||Setting the Vision||The hows and whys of developing a shared community broadband vision to engage community leaders, citizens, and broadband provider partners. https://zoom.us/j/829313397|
|April 7||Broadband 101||An introduction to various broadband technologies highlighting capabilities, liabilities, and comparative costs of each. https://zoom.us/j/308862200|
|April 9||Community Broadband Surveys||An overview of broadband surveys including a comparison of random sample surveys and canvassing techniques, key questions, the importance of GIS mapping technology, and data ownership considerations. https://zoom.us/j/290569587|
|April 14||Broadband Mapping||An introduction to broadband mapping data sources, with demonstration of various GIS capabilities for data display and grant eligibility determination. Strategies for challenging broadband map data will be discussed. https://zoom.us/j/246328169|
|April 16||Ownership Models and Provider Partnerships||An overview of models concerning network ownership and operations providing options for working with existing and prospective partners. https://zoom.us/j/560434824|
|April 21||Feasibility Studies||Presentation and discussion of the key elements of broadband feasibility study design, implementation, and use; including tips on selecting a consultant. https://zoom.us/j/480704463|
|April 23||Federal and State Broadband Finance Programs||An overview of existing and emerging broadband finance programs. https://zoom.us/j/287394948|
|April 28||Local Broadband Finance Options||An introduction to the finance tools available to cities, counties, and towns to assist in broadband development. https://zoom.us/j/822263677|
|April 30||Making it Happen: Determining your Community’s Best Option||Strategies for success.
- Leveraging CAF II Dollars to Bring World-Class Broadband to your Community – July 19, 2018
- Broadband Finance Strategies – April 27, 2017
- Broadband at the County Level – March 9, 2017
- Broadband Considerations in Site Selection and Data Centers – February 11, 2016
- DEED Office of Broadband 2014 Projects: A Progress Report – October 8, 2015
- Universal Service Fund: Supporting Broadband in Rural Places – September 10, 2015
- NTIA’s Broadband Programs – June 18, 2015
- Partnership Models – May 14, 2015
- Organizing the Community Around Key Broadband Topics – Creating the Right Team – April 9, 2015
- Wireless Broadband: It’s Complicated! – March 12, 2015
- Fiber and Gigabit Networks: The Future is Here – February 12, 2015
- Getting Started on Community Broadband – January 8, 2015
- Border-to-Border Infrastructure Grant Program – July 10, 2014
- Approaches for Local Governments to Expand Internet Access – June 12, 2014
- DIY Tools and Strategies for Communities: Google Fiber is NOT Calling – May 8, 2014
- Making 700 MHz Wireless Work in Rural Minnesota – April 10, 2014
- Expanding Wi-Fi Access to Your Community – September 12, 2013
- Digital Literacy and Older Adults – February 22, 2018
- “Digital Inclusion” webinar series
- Assessments, Training and Certifications: A Path Forward for the Digitally Excluded – September 14, 2017
- Low Income Devices and Connectivity – August 10, 2017
- Digital Inclusion Basics – July 11, 2017
- Working Effectively with PCs for People – July 11, 2013
- “Broadband-Enabled Innovation in the Home” webinar series
- Emerging Trends in Minnesota Tele-Health – December 14, 2017
- The Homework Gap: How Lack of Broadband Hinders K-12 Education – November 9, 2017
- Community Technology Centers – May 12, 2016
- Spurring Small Business Use of Technology – March 10, 2016.
- Creative Spaces, Creative Places – July 9, 2015
- Community Centers of Innovation – January 9, 2014
- Online Tools for Community Economic Development – November 14, 2013
- Growing and Keeping Tech Talent – August 11, 2016
- Attracting Tech Talent – July 14, 2016
- Community Technology and Entrepreneurship Networking – October 10, 2013
- How to be Effective at the Capitol – February 9, 2017
- 2017 Legislative Preview – January 12, 2017
- Census 2020: The Count Starts Now – November 10, 2016
- Broadband-Focused Economic Development Marketing – April 20, 2016
- Advocacy Groups: Who are They? – August 13, 2015
- Special Webinar: Broadband Development Fund Legislative Update – April 4, 2014
- Engaging Youth in Community Technology Initiatives – August 8, 2013
- Community Portals – June 20, 2013
Blandin Broadband Programs:
- Is the BBC Program Right for You? – March 15, 2018
- Blandin Broadband Communities 2015-16 – August 14, 2014
- Blandin Broadband Grant Programs – March 13, 2014
Do you have an idea for a future webinar? Send suggestions to Mary Magnuson.