The purpose of these case studies is to inform public discourse about the impact of investment in broadband infrastructure and adoption activities on community.
We looked at the following questions:
- What impact have public investments in broadband infrastructure had on the community?
- What community utilization efforts are underway in community?
- What impact, if any, are they having?
Community profiles were developed using a mix of quantitative and qualitative sources and methods, including:
- Formulating Values: We used established formulas to calculate the economic impact of public investment in each community. Though the numbers are imprecise, we believe they are representative.
- County Data: We gathered data but found it difficult to track impact of better broadband because while the impact may be immediate, the tools that measure impact are not. Often the most recent data available dates from 2015 or 2016, before most of the networks had reached a critical mass.
- Community Interviews: We spoke to representatives from each community to gather firsthand accounts of the value of broadband investments. While we have included hard numbers whenever possible, we learned that “value” is in the eye of the user. For one it means turning a $400,000 business into $4 million business. For someone else it means helping two kids with math homework at the same time. For others it means keeping the local newspaper printing.
Thank you to the community members who helped our efforts:
- Gary Johnson (Paul Bunyan)
- Dave Hengel (Greater Bemidji)
- Myke Stittsworth (Stittsworth Meats)
- Erik Hokuf (Aircorp Aviation)
- Sarah Hokuf (Evolve Creative)
- Kevin Johnson (Great River Design)
- Karen Harrison (Teleworker for Fortune 400 company)
- Leon Kremeier (Otter Tail Power)
- Scott Faust (Bemidji State University)
- Lori Paris (Bemidji Chamber)
- Cindy Habedank (Visit Bemidji)
- Kathryn Smith (Bemidji State University)
- Jim Benson (former President of Bemidji State University)
Crow Wing County
- Sheila Haverkamp (Brainerd Lakes Area EDC)
- Matthew Kilian (Brainerd Lakes Chamber of Commerce)
- Seth Nestadt (Brainerd Lakes Chamber of Commerce)
- Mike Bjerkness (Brainerd Lakes Area EDC)
- John Hammerlinck (RITA Consortium)
- County Administrator Tim Houle
- Mark Jurchen (Insurance Agent)
- Nate Grotzke (Close Converse)
- Kristi Westbrock (Consolidate Telecommunications Company – CTC)
- Mark Prazak (Teleworker for Fortune 400 company)
- Neela Mollgaard (Red Wing Ignite)
- Shannan Harris(Red Wing Ignite)
- Tom Dwell (Hiawatha Broadband)
- Patty Brown (Red Wing Chamber of Commerce)
- Ross Lexvold (Xcel Enery)
- Arloa Bach
- Patrick Krekelberg (Krekeltronics)
- Chris Swanson (Pure Driven)
- Chris Langenbrunner (Schools)
- Officer Carey Johnson
- John Bathke (Timber Ghost Realty)
- Kris Lee (Schools)